02 March 2009

Time Passes, the Wind Breaks.

Hello All!
   It has been a while since my last post. I've been busy to say the least. And yes, that is mostly jsut a cheap copout so I don't have to try and come up with a reasonable excuse for the lapse of time since I have posted. Oh well. Just an update. My career is going really well. The family is great. My little boy just amazes me more and more everyday. For starters, he is going to be 1 year old in a week. A WEEK!!! Holy moly! Where has the time gone? It was just yesterday I was standing in the hallway in tears because he was under the bilirubin light because his levels were critical. It was only minutes ago that I was amazed as he turned his head and looked me directly in the eye. Mere seconds since he first said "Dada" and hit me on the head with his juice cup. Now, my 11 month, 3 week and one day old son is lying behind me in his crib sleeping. Unaware that his presence here has been a lifetime, and the blink of an eye. He is so smart.  We have a tall lamp in our living room. and on this lamp, about midway up, there is a circular tray built right in. A while back, Griffin was trying to pull up on the tray that is built in to the lamp, but he wasn't quite tall enough. Right near the lamp, there was a metal cash box just sitting there. He pulled the cash box over to him, climbed onto the cash box, and grabbed the tray that is built in to the lamp. Now what he did was wrong, and we popped him on the hand for grabbing the lamp, and explained that if it fell on top of him he would be hurt. You know, the whole "responsible parent" thing. But it amazed me that he grasped the concept so easily. Griffin is my first and only child, and I guess I never realized all the wonderful things I wouldn't have to teach him. It is just amazing all he knows how to do, and even more so that he just knows  how to do those things. No one has had to show him. He is amazing. He is my world. 
   I will end with one final thought and a photo. Just tonight, I was practicing my bass rhythms and Griffin comes crawling into "our" room (so designated because my son and I share it. 3/4 is his nursery, and 1/4 is my office/music studio/storage space/man cave.) He crawls over to me and starts pulling up on my pant leg. I obviously can't hold him because I am playing bass. So, I sit down on the floor with him, bass in tow. He comes over and sits in my lap. I pull him closer so the guitar is in front of the both of us. What does griffin do? He starts going to town, beating and banging on my guitar. I had a drum loop playing for ease of practice, and he starts bobbing his head to the beat and banging on the guitar. It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. Not because the song he was playing was a masterpiece, but because he was excited, like he was really enjoying it. Hopefully, with any luck, I can teach him to play and he will love it like his old man does. Or maybe, just maybe, he will teach his old man a few tricks.
   For your viewing  pleasure, here is a picture of Griffin, studio bassist.

Here is a link to a video of Griffin playing bass with daddy:

No comments: